If you’re struggling to feed a fussy pet, here are some tips to make mealtimes easier.
Why are some pets fussy eaters?
There are countless reasons why your pet may be picky when it comes to eating. Maybe they’re used to getting table scraps so by the time dinner rolls around they are no longer hungry. Perhaps they are anxious or aren’t food-driven. Or maybe they just don’t like what’s being put in front of them.
Whatever the reason, it’s important to figure out why it’s happening and then deploy a few different strategies to improve their eating habits. To help you get started, here are seven tips for fussy eaters.
7 top tips to help with a fussy pet’s eating habits
- Try a different product: If you feed your pet kibble, make sure it’s one made with high-quality ingredients. Dogs and cats are more discerning than you think, so if it doesn’t have what their body needs then they may refuse to eat it. Pure Life pet food for both dogs and cats is natural, grain-free and packed with top-quality local ingredients.
- Make it rain: Adding a little warm water or milk to your pet’s dry food can make it much more enticing, especially for older pets who may struggle to chew hard kibble.
- Mix and match: Next time you feed your pet their kibble, why not add a spoonful of wet food? This can not only aid digestion, but it can make their food smell and taste much better than normal.
- Go for the real thing: Choose a kibble that has freeze-dried pieces of 100% real meat to get your pet salivating.
- Change it up: No one likes eating the same thing day in, day out – and the same goes for your pet! If your furry friend is no longer interested in their food bowl, rotate what you feed them to keep things interesting.
- Keep treat time to a minimum: Regularly feeding your pet treats throughout the day can keep them full and therefore not hungry at their proper mealtimes. So save the treats for training and instead get your pet into a routine of specific times to eat.
- Hand-feeding: Sometimes nervous or reluctant eaters are more comfortable taking food from your hand. Some gentle encouragement and pats while they nibble from your hand – and slowly to their bowl – can be very helpful for fussy eaters.
High-quality food can transform your fussy eater
The bottom line is that your pet wants – and deserves! – to eat high-quality food. Choosing pet food that is packed with protein and healthy local ingredients can turn even the fussiest eater into a veritable gourmand.
Time to transform your fussy eater into a pet who loves mealtimes? Pure Life Pets has a wide range of grain-free and allergy-friendly food for dogs and cats.